...are a chemical company with tradition and innovation
Founded in 1936,the Deutsche Gasrußwerke started industrially manufacturing carbon black in Dortmund in accordance with the so-called "carbon black process" in 1938.
In 1954 the production facilities were expanded and the company started using the furnace black technique- product start in 1956.
We have offered training at our headquarters for technical and commercial professions since 1979.
In 1983 we began producing electricity by afterburning residual gas, which is a by-product of carbon black production. In 1989 we expanded our electricity production.
We have supplied the city of Dortmund with district heating since 1994 - today DEW21.
In 2006 we produced our four millionth ton since the company was founded.
In 2011 we celebrated the company's 75th anniversary.
Today we have the characteristics of a medium-sized company and are a major producer of carbon black with a close connection with internationally active companies in the chemical and tire industries. We provide electricity for Dortmund, and a variety of Dortmund households obtains district heating from us that is generated out of accumulated process heat. We continue to successfully train our own specialists ourselves with a training quota of about 11%.
We supply the tire and rubber industries with reinforcing filler (rubber black) and the dyestuff, printed materials and plastics industries with pigment blacks.